Thursday, June 2, 2016

1st Corinthians 8:13

1st Corinthians 8:13

“Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, least I make my brother stumble.”

As Christians we have the freedom not to. I had no knowledge of this freedom about a year ago, but this freedom is by far the greatest freedom I have found in Christ. I have the ability to forfeit anything and everything for the sake of Gods will. For the longest time I was so focused on my Christian liberties that I lost sight of the Christian part of those liberties. About 3 years ago I was talking to a friend in school and he said something that really affected my view on what we earn as Christians. He said “I don’t care if I get a crown or not, in heaven, cuz don’t we have to just give them back to Jesus anyways?” And I answered without much thought at all “but don’t you want to have something to give back?” then it hit me. We don’t own things for ourselves but for the glorious opportunity to offer it back to God, even though it’s His to begin with. Nothing is mine, and anything given to me is His, for He is in me.
“To live is Christ.” I am free to say no to one drink, I’m free to say no to tattoos, I’m free to say no to being in a room with a girl alone, because I am Christ’s.


With this freedom I can say no to things that might be good for the sake of my weaker brother, even if that thing is something I like, because Christ has given me the freedom not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment